Doctors' Hospital of Michigan main hospital has the capability to perform many types of surgery in its seven-suite unit, including: urology, neuro-surgery, orthopedics, gynecological, podiatric, bariatric, plastic, ear, nose & throat, and general surgery.
(The Waterford Ambulatory Care Center is available for endoscopy
surgeries at the North Oakland ASC Surgical Center. Both facilities pre- and post- op areas are staffed by registered nurses
experienced in caring for patients).
General Surgical Patient Information
The following guidelines are general and may not be appropriate for every surgery.
Prior to surgery, a nurse from our Pre-Admission Testing (PAT) department will contact you to discuss your medical history, medications and will give you instructions regarding your stay with us. The nurse will also confirm your scheduled surgery time and the time you should arrive at the hospital. You will need to arrive at the hospital at least 2 hours prior to surgery.
Please contact us between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Monday through Friday) at 248-857-7134 if you have not been contacted two days prior to surgery, ask for a nurse in the Pre-Admission Department.
For your convenience, you will want to bring the following with you to the hospital:
- Any relevant medical insurance information, including insurance cards
- Medical information that details your own history
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking, prescription, over-the-counter and any other natural or organic drugs you may be taking. Also, be sure to have the dosages you take, it is helpful to have the bottles with you indicating the correct doctor's order for taking your medication.
- List of allergies
- If you have an advance directive, please bring a copy with you to place in your medical record
- A list of telephone numbers where members of your immediate family can be reached, if necessary.
- Proof of Guardianship, if applicable
- Please leave valuables at home (money, jewelry, watches, etc.)