The name of this community icon changed as the hospital grew in services and size, but its mission remained the same:
to serve the healthcare needs of all citizens of the community.
When the Association gave the hospital, its contents, and the land to the City of Pontiac in 1915, the facility was renamed Pontiac City Hospital. A new patient wing was added in 1931 and the name changed again to Pontiac General Hospital. In 1969, the hospital opened a state-of-the-art Emergency Room and became the first hospital in the United States to dedicate a staff of physicians solely for the purpose of providing emergency medical treatment. In 1980, the hospital opened its first ambulatory care center in Waterford.
Throughout the 1980’s, the hospital grew to include a new administration building, library, and the Huron Auditorium. In 1994, the hospital was renamed North Oakland Medical Centers (NOMC). An icon in the community that was adversely affected by the changing economy, NOMC sadly closed its doors in October 2008.
Not wanting to see the legacy of the community’s first hospital come to an end, a group of passionate and dedicated physicians incorporated as Oakland Physician’s Medical Center (OPMC) and sought out investors to bring the corner of M-59 and Johnson Streets back to the business of delivering quality healthcare to Northern Oakland County, just as it had done for nearly one hundred years. On November 7, 2008, OPMC purchased the land, the building and all of NOMC’s contents. Aptly calling this new model of healthcare “Doctors’ Hospital of Michigan,” it became the first for-profit, full-service acute-care hospital in Michigan with physician ownership.
The hospital’s mission continues to echo the passion and energy of its precursors from 100 years ago:
“DHM will provide the highest quality, cost-effective, compassionate care to each patient we serve and we WILL be committed to fulfilling the healthcare needs of those in our community.”